Author Topic: running ISIS2 and ISIS3 on the same machine?  (Read 9013 times)

bierhaus

• Anubis (Very Active Member)
running ISIS2 and ISIS3 on the same machine?
« on: October 29, 2010, 11:58:29 AM »
Hello ISIS,

To work with Cassini data under ISIS3, and with Voyager data (which requires ISIS2), I need to have both ISIS2 and ISIS3 functioning on the same machine.  I have a current version of ISIS3 (just rsynced about two weeks ago), and also have ISIS2 on the same machine (last rsynced probably over a year ago).

I've downloaded some Voyager data from PDS, and am attempting to process it with ISIS2.  Some questions:

+ Are the Voyager PDS data already in ISIS format?  I can view the .img files with ISIS3 qview (I can't run qview through ISIS2, see below), which leads me to believe I do not need to run pds2isis as a first processing step for the Voyager data.  However, I get errors when stepping through the subsequent Voyager-specific routines, e.g.

/disk01/isis2/isisr/exe/voyfixlabel from=c2684608.img

GROUP = VOYFIXLABEL
  ISISVERSION = "2.3.4-REL_1_0"
  ISISBUILDDATE = "2007-12-06T00:14:37"
  VERSION_DATE = 1999-06-24
  DATE_TIME = 2010-10-29T12:34:56
  NODE_NAME = "callisto"
  USER_NAME = "ebierhau"
  SOFTWARE_DESC =
    "Refine the labels of a VOYAGER ISS image created by pds2isis"
  GROUP = PARAMETERS
    FROM = "c2684608.img"
  END_GROUP = PARAMETERS
 [PUINITLAB-INVVAL] (-4) RECORD_BYTES keyword value (836) invalid (expected
512)
 [POPEN-INVLAB] (-6) Error initializing existing file c2684608.img
 [QOPEN-FILERR] (-4) Error opening qube file c2684608.img
 [VOYFIXLABEL-OPNFAI] (-1) Error opening input file c2684608.img
[SHTAE-ABTERM] Abnormal termination forced by application program

+ Do tips/tricks/guidelines exist for running ISIS2 & 3 on the same machine?  I've tried explicitly pointing to ISIS2 routines via absolute pathnames when running an executable, but get library errors, e.g.

/disk01/isis2/isisr/exe/qview &
[1] 24655
 /disk01/isis2/isisr/exe/qview: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So right now I'm not sure if I'm dealing with problems caused by images that aren't in proper ISIS format, or problems caused by conflict between ISIS2 and 3, or a combination of both.

Thanks for your help,

Beau

bierhaus

• Anubis (Very Active Member)
Re: running ISIS2 and ISIS3 on the same machine?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:16:31 AM »
I've been working on this a little more, and am starting with a clean install of ISIS2 (though I didn't wipe the install of ISIS3).  I rsync'ed ISIS2, and snagged some Voyager data. 

Also, based on a helpful tick, I've extracted the .profile commands associated with ISIS2 and ISIS3 and put them in their own shell scripts, so when I want to run one or the other I first initialize with the relevant start-up script in that shell.

When I try to run pds2isis, I receive the following error:

/disk01/isis2/exe/isisr/exe/pds2isis from=c2684630.img to=c2684630.cub
/disk01/isis2/exe/isisr/exe/pds2isis: error while loading shared libraries: libisis.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Based on the name, I would suspect that the missing library is an isis file.  I rsynced all of the ISIS2 base kit and dev kit, but only the Voyager data kit.  Do I need to rsync another data kit to obtain libisis.so, or is something else the cause?

Thanks,

Beau