Author Topic: Re: Problems in Install ISIS3 on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit (SOLVED)  (Read 1491 times)

dchowdhury

• Isis User Group
  • Osiris (Active Member)
    • Email
Re: Problems in Install ISIS3 on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit (SOLVED)
« on: October 18, 2011, 12:17:08 PM »
Hello,

I am having the same problem however when I type qview at the end I get an error msg that says:

'Exec format error. Binary file not executable.'

Not sure why this is happening, can anyone help me?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 09:33:25 AM by ssides »

ssides

• Isis Support Team
  • Isis (Extreme Power Member)
    • http://isis.astrogeology.usgs.gov
Re: Problems in Install ISIS3 on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit (OPEN)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 08:05:15 AM »
dchowdhury,

Can you please post the output from the following commands:

which qview
which ratio
echo $ISISROOT
echo $ISIS3DATA
file `which qview`

NOTE: On the "file" command above the quotes are back quotes. On my keyboard it is with the ~ key in the upper left corner of the keyboard.

Thanks
Stuart

dchowdhury

• Isis User Group
  • Osiris (Active Member)
    • Email
Re: Problems in Install ISIS3 on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit (OPEN)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
Hello,

here are the outputs for the commands:

which qview
/home/diya/MARS/isis3/isis/qview

which ratio
/home/diya/MARS/isis3/isis/bin/ratio

echo $ISISROOT
/home/diya/MARS/isis3/isis

echo $ISIS3DATA
/home/diya/MARS/isis3/isis/../data

file `which qview`
/home/diya/MARS/isis3/isis/bin/qview: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.15, not stripped

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
Diya

ehyer

Re: Problems in Install ISIS3 on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit (OPEN EH)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:18:39 PM »
Hello Diya,

Usually when I see this message it is because I am trying to execute a 64bit binary an a 32bit system.  Please verify that you are running a 64bit system by opening a terminal and typing "uname -a" (without quotes).

Do you see "x86_64" in the output?  If not then you have the 32bit ubuntu and need to install the 64bit version of ubuntu (assuming you have 64bit hardware).

-Eric

dchowdhury

• Isis User Group
  • Osiris (Active Member)
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 01:26:30 PM »
Hello,

I think you might be correct. The message reads :

"2.6.32-34-generic #77-Ubuntu SMP"

I'm guessing this means I have the 32bit Ubuntu! What is the next best version of isis I can download in the event I can't update to the 64bit Ubuntu?

-Diya

ehyer

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 12:32:39 PM »
Diya,

"2.6.32-34-generic #77-Ubuntu SMP" means that you are indeed running a 32 bit version of Ubuntu.  If your hardware is 64 bit, then the best course of action is to back up your Isis download, install the 64 bit version of Ubuntu, and then restore your backup.  To check if your CPU (not the OS) is 64 bit, you need to check the contents of /proc/cpuinfo to see if you have the lm flag.  In a terminal type or copy and paste the following line:

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo | grep ' lm '

If you see any output (it will look something like this below)

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 lm constant_tsc pni cx16 lahf_lm
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 lm constant_tsc pni cx16 lahf_lm

then your CPU supports 64 bit!

If you got no output, then you have a 32 bit CPU.  Currently the only 32 bit version of Isis we have is for Red Hat 5.6.  Other minor versions of Red Hat 5 like 5.5 or 5.7 should work too, but no guarantees.  5.x versions of either CentOS or Scientific Linux should also work as well.

Let me know how it works out.  Most if not all new hardware sold in the last few years is 64 bit, and most of our users prefer to take advantage of that.  However, if there is still demand for 32 bit Isis builds, then it is something we need to consider.

Thank you,
Eric
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:46:17 PM by ehyer »