Author Topic: World Files - pgw, jpw j2w - when will they come back? (CLOSED)  (Read 1361 times)

Theep

• Hathor (Active Member)
World Files - pgw, jpw j2w - when will they come back? (CLOSED)
« on: November 26, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »
In a recent release of ISIS isis2cam stopped producing world files, pg2, jp2, j2w, etc.  These world files are used by Arc-GIS to denote the location of an image.  Obviously, these files would only be produced if there was map information in the cube.

How is the work on this going bringing this back?

Thanks
Eric
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:58:50 AM by tbecker »

tbecker

• Isis Support Team
  • Isis (Extreme Power Member)
Re: World Files - pgw, jpw j2w - when will they come back?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
Hi Eric,

I'm assuming that you are referring to 'isis2std'.  The world files are now generated and will be in the next public release scheduled for Dec.   

Tammy

thare

• GIS Support Team
  • Isis (Extreme Power Member)
    • http://webgis.wr.usgs.gov
    • Email
Re: World Files - pgw, jpw j2w - when will they come back? (OPEN TB)
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
Eric,
   Yes the worldfiles will be back - but the ultimate goal is to not need them. Wolrdfiles only give the registration not the map projection which ArcMap doesn't have to have but it is a good idea.

1.) ArcMap 10.x (10.1 better), supports most map projected ISIS3 cubes directly. It is still worth converting to 8bit for faster access and you can build pyramids on the cube for even faster access. I would use "stretch" to go to an 8bit cube (or "bit2bit" but for now you would need to use minper=0 and maxper=100 -- this should also change in the near future).

2.) Use GDAL to convert to a fully-formed planetary GeoTiff or GeoJpeg2000 (or many other formats - jpeg, png, ect.). This means the worldfile and map projection are in the file or a detached rider file which ArcMap supports.

3.) You can still use isis3world.pl to create a worldfile for a Cube (until it is fixed).

-Trent

Theep

• Hathor (Active Member)
Re: World Files - pgw, jpw j2w - when will they come back? (OPEN TB)
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »
Excellent!
Thanks.  That is what I needed.
Eric