Author Topic: Illustrator to ArcGIS using map publisher  (Read 2514 times)

kevthaisen

• Hathor (Active Member)
    • Email
Illustrator to ArcGIS using map publisher
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:06:37 AM »
First, I have to apologize, I am new to using illustrator and map publisher and could use some basic help.

I am trying to use map publisher to export layers from illustrator to ArcGIS, but I'm having an issue with the projected image(s) that was downloaded from Map a planet and used for mapping.  Since the mapping was done on a projected image, I have black areas of no-data, and I can't seem to figure out how to get the boundaries of the projection defined so that I can get the image properly referenced in map publisher and export the individual layers.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin

thare

• GIS Support Team
  • Isis (Extreme Power Member)
    • http://webgis.wr.usgs.gov
    • Email
Re: Illustrator to ArcGIS using map publisher
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 09:51:58 PM »
I was hoping someone would help out by now since I haven't used map publisher for years. For more graphic/GIS mix I switched to Canvas w/ GIS. We only use it for conversion from Illustrator files into Shapefiles (not for new mapping projects). This might not help with Map Publisher but here is my general workflow.

(1) Densify (add) vertices a couple times to all features. This helps preserve bezier curves into curves as defined by vertices.
(2) separate features by type or unit (all faults, grabens, etc) in seperate layers.
(3) export grid for control points
(4) export every layer (feature type) as a shapefile. This means I end up with a mess of shapefiles.
--note I am note dealing with projections yet.
(5) load all exported shapefiles into ArcMap.
(6) define a grid in ArcMap using the appropriate projection as the original Illustrator map.
(7) Use the spatial adjust toolbar to register the exported grid shapefile (and thus all the other layers since they should be in the same system), to the correctly set up map projected grid as define in ArcMap. http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//001t000000t5000000.htm
(8 ) now add in attributes to all layers to define their type. Usually filename to field script if the filename is well defined.
(9) merge like features and clean them up. For geology, I usually go back to contact lines, clean them, and rebuild polygons. Attributes can be saved in a label point file to reapply to the polygons when building (feature to polygon tool or free build polygon routine in Tools for Graphics and Shapes).

By delaying the projection until I get into ArcMap, I don't have to fight with it in Illustrator/Canvas.

I hope this helps,
Trent
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 10:02:37 PM by thare »

kevthaisen

• Hathor (Active Member)
    • Email
Re: Illustrator to ArcGIS using map publisher
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
Thanks Trent, I'll give that a try.

-Kevin