Author Topic: Weird issue in ArcMap 10.0 - Copying features from one layer into another  (Read 3828 times)

Valentina

• PhD Student
  • Isis User Group
  • Osiris (Active Member)
  • Studying the tectonics of Mercury☿
    • Email
Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone of you has ever had this issue with ArcMap 10.0.
I work with a geodatabase that has some feature classes inside the same feature dataset. During the editing session it often happens that I have to copy some polyline features from a feature class layer to another (of the same type). When I do so, after changing the attribute field (with assigned domain), the newly pasted feature is not drawn into the target layer even though its centroid is shown and I can see it in the attribute table as the last created feature. Moreover, as soon as I click on Save Edits something even weirder happens. The newly pasted feature finally appears, and all the other features in the same layer disappear!  :o It may cause an heart attack when you see thousands of features disappearing... but I gladly realised that the attribute table was left untouched and all I have to do is exporting the feature class to a single shapefile, then export back the shapefile into the geodatabase assigning again the attribute domains to the fields.
I suspect this issue is related to the fields with an assigned domain, but I was not able to find a quicker workaround, nor I figured out why all this happens!

Can anyone of you help me?
I hope I am doing something wrong, because if it is an ArMap 10.0 bug it is really annoying!

Thanks,
Vale

thare

• GIS Support Team
  • Isis (Extreme Power Member)
    • http://webgis.wr.usgs.gov
    • Email
Re: Weird issue in ArcMap 10.0 - Copying features from one layer into another
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:22:59 AM »
Perhaps the symbology is not set to display the new features until they attributed. Maybe save out your symbols by saving a "layer" file. While you are in a copy/paste mode, set the symbology to a single symbol.

I would also have to recommend upgrading to ArcMap 10.2.2 also. There are some nice editing additions. ArcMap 10.0 is 4+ years old now which is ancient in software terms.

ArcGIS Pro is also around the corner, but I would not upgrade to that version until most of the kinks are worked out.

-Trent

Valentina

• PhD Student
  • Isis User Group
  • Osiris (Active Member)
  • Studying the tectonics of Mercury☿
    • Email
Re: Weird issue in ArcMap 10.0 - Copying features from one layer into another
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 07:35:55 AM »
Thanks Trent,

I tried changing the simbology but it doesn't help much. I am afraid it depends on ArcMap version, when I had the chance to work with 10.1 I never had these kind of problems, it was a lot better!
I am just waiting for my institution to upgrade the software to 10.2.

Vale