Author Topic: Importing bands from Aster HDF files into ArcScene  (Read 1465 times)

m_valenti

• Hathor (Active Member)
Importing bands from Aster HDF files into ArcScene
« on: October 28, 2015, 04:14:28 PM »
Recently I've been working with Aster images in Socet Set.  I'm quite new to Aster images, so I've been figuring things out on my own bit by bit. I'm not really sure where the right place to ask this question is, but I'm basically trying to export the color VINR band 1 from the Aster HDF file, to a geotiff file that ArcScene can recognize.  I want to use the color image as a texture for the Socet Set DTMs I've imported into ArcScene.  I haven't been able to get Socet Set to export this band with camera pointing information that ArcScene can understand.

I tried to import the Aster HDF file directly into ArcGis and I get a list of 158 bands, and a lot of them are backplanes and metadata.  I tried selecting the bands that would seem make sense for the color image, but once I get it imported I tend to end up with a featureless grey strip.  So I'm not really sure how to select the right bands to construct a functional color image

I tried a HDF conversion program: http://newsroom.gsfc.nasa.gov/sdptoolkit/HEG/HEGHome.html
It turns out that it needs the Aster image to be in HDF-EOS and it doesn't recognise format that I've been I've been getting from GLOVIS.  I looked into the EOS format, and it's a NASA format that's has it's own separate software ecosystem.  There's a lot of reading material about this that I still have to go through: http://hdfeos.org

The last thing I tried was to download the image from GLOVIS in geotiff format.  The image came as separate image files for each band and a huge number of text files with all the meta data.  It turns out that ArcGis doesn't automatically recognize this format.  I haven't yet figured out how to use these files to construct a functional image in ArcGis.

If anyone has any tips or can point me in the right direction, it would be enormously helpful.